Search This Blog

Monday 26 January 2015

Mohammed Bakari Abae for Chairman: Mount Kenya University, Coast Campus: 2015 - 2016




Hello Fellow Excellent students, 

My name is Mohammed Abae. I am vying to become the Chairman of our University because I have found by talking with students and listening to what they have to say that they share the same concerns and hopes as I do about the University and their education.  I believe a good education is a very important part of a person’s life. 

Action execution when needed is much more significant than action execution when desired. As a passionate people’s person I believe that doing what is required by students who look up to you for help or assistance holds primary importance and come before what you think is right for student. As a MKUSA Chairman candidate for this year’s election, I would like to bring to the notice of my fellow university mates here at Mount Kenya University Coast Campus, that I abide by the motto ‘Scaling The Heights of Education" and believe in serving in the best interests of all the students. A Chairman representing their students at the university and being a voice to their concerns should be easily accessible and priorities issues addressed by students in a timely manner.

Being actively involved in social service concerns and political work from my early teens I have understood the fact that to enable easy and friendly approach by having regular interaction with students and by putting my best foot forward in answering student queries, grievances and complaints holds key as a responsible MKUSA Chairman candidate.

Students often face problems with respect to their timetables and other course related issues which need to be dealt with swiftly, efficiently and effectively. Thus, I would make sure that best possible student welfare is enabled by apt and suitable academic timetables, putting forth the students’ voice to the faculty and other subsequent higher authorities.

As there are a lot of procedures in administration within the students union it becomes a tedious task for students who are often found at the receiving end. I would like to fix this issue by ensuring excellent administration within the core working departments of the Students Union which will promote better procedural flow of tasks.

The Mount Kenya University, Coast Campus is one of the most noteworthy culturally diverse institutions with students from all over Kenya and beyond who have their distinct and special identities. As a person who is intrigued and interested by people from different backgrounds I would want to make their University experience a memorable one. Hence, I will work prolifically in promoting better social and cultural harmony amongst students by conducting events and gatherings on a regular basis and would like to create a friendly aura at the University.

Another important aspect to every student during their University time is to have part time jobs and be able to find suitable work after their courses have completed. Thus, my sincere and the most spirited effort will be to work proactively in placing students for part time jobs during their courses and make sure that the University has more Job fairs, Placements forums and Corporate Exhibitions. I would like to pass on my final words to my fellow University mates that it is their union and I would be a strong and impaction voice to their concerns and opinions so, let’s all "Scale the heights of Education".


HERE ARE MY PLEDGES:



  • ·         Introduce The MKU ZENITH Magazine.

I have founded a magazine, The MKU Zenith. It will mainly deal with enlightening and educating students through sharing of knowledge among other relevant issues through the Print Media.
With a strong team behind it, I shall improve the editing standard of the MKU zenith Magazine and ensure that it contains reliable information and to make sure that the information provided will be of interest to all MKU family and the communities outside the campus.

MKU Zenith may be sold at a small fee (Consultations with stakeholders, donors and supporters still underway), and everything that will be generated from it will go back to helping those students with school fees problems, especially during exam times, where bursaries may not be available. Surplus raised may also go to helping in Environmental conservation projects around Mombasa.


  • ·         I shall improve the standard of the school website.

These will be done by improving the features and make it more user friendly and effective. I shall make sure that it is worthwhile visiting the site anytime we log on and it will provide all the information we may need, especially during exam registration times where most of the time, the system goes down or the courses aren’t reflected on time causing wastage of time and frustrations among protocol involved.


  • ·         Work toward an effective library access.

I shall deliberate with the University authority to improve library facilities and services, to extend opening hours especially during weekends and exam times, more copies of core texts will be available, quick resolution of computer problems, and also a printer and a scanner to be available.
These will greatly help in the saving costs especially for the lecturers and students, and also help in time management among other benefits.


  • ·         I will introduce an online website for the Students.

This forum will ensure that lecturers will be able to post notes and other course work materials where students can easily browse the syllabus rich content easily and also create discussions and study group to help the students. It will also provide question and answer areas for students to make sure the transparency of Student Union’s activities for this will help bring the students closer to the union.
One of my greatest aims is to get significant input from teaching faculty.


  • ·         Promote the image of the university.

I shall benchmark the activities of student union with that of other respected institution and work toward improving the standard that our union maintains at the present time.
Also, through MKU Zenith Magazine, Mount Kenya University will create a positive attitude towards investors and interested parties in the industry to venture with us to make MKU to be the no. 1 University of Choice.


  • ·         Maintain the student lecturers relationship.

In order to “Scale The Heights of Education”, The student lecturer relationship requires more revision and I will work for a better understanding between the two, I shall ask for more time to be provided to students from their lecturers to aid in their understanding of their course and assessment; more lecturers to be provided and motivation to the students and lecturers to also be provided.


  • ·         Campaign for acceptance of bank receipt slips.

These will reduce the period of time a student had to queue to enable them to get the lecturers pass and also to help in time management. 


  • ·         Campaign and develop policy for recycling and waste disposal management.

I am very passionate about the environment and my campaign is not only about what the school can do for us, but the little that we can do to help the environment that we leave in. I shall campaign to ensure that the school develops a Waste Disposal Policy in which everyone can follow. This will greatly ensure that we all become more responsible to the environment we live in and in all relevant activities we do in the campus.

I shall promote the recycling culture among the stakeholder of the university whereby, empty water bottles, glasses, and polythene papers form the majority of the waste, I will ensure that they are collected and sold to the recycling companies and any money that will be generated will help in environmental conservation activities, including tree planting around Mombasa region.

I will ensure that the University provides better basic amenities and facilities (drinking water, affordable drink vending machines, air cooling systems in the classrooms, cafeteria e.t.c) which would improve a student’s experience at the University.



  • ·         Enriching the lives and unlocking the potential of students.

I will enable noteworthy placement opportunities to students as we have excellent contacts within the corporate circle. Students can volunteer or work in part time in these organizations as they keep on schooling.

I will provide an easy access to mentoring programs where I will be inviting cooperate people from different organizations to come and offer advices, and mentoring which will greatly help in ensuring all students from different faculties are equipped with relevant knowledge of what awaits out of the campus life.

I will also provide weekly grievance and complaints meetings to make sure students voice is addressed rightfully, in the office, online through the web and even through phone calls, to ensure a problem is solved in the quickest time.


  • ·         Champion student welfare

In the time I have stayed in MKU, I have realized there is something people shy o ff from addressing; this is sexual harassment.  If elected, I will ensure that there will be a special team appointed, involving the school counselor with a policy in place to ensure that there is zero tolerance to  sexual harassment of all forms at MKU and all MKU events.

For the welfare of the Muslim Students, I will ensure that they get well ventilated praying rooms, with better washrooms to easily facilitate their prayers in comfort.
Leaders of other societies and groups will also be involved in implementing laws that will ensure equality among all members of the MKU community.

As we are anticipating to the completion of the Student Canteen/Cafeteria at Makena Building, I will ensure cleanliness is maintained, and meals and drinks are available at affordable prices for all to benefit the school amenities

I will also ensure that Insurance fee for those who are going for attachments is included in the fee so as to enable easy payment from the parents/ guardians, who find it hard when they are told to pay after they believe they have finished paying.

  • ·         Operate an open door policy

I will operate open communication channels and serve everyone without discrimination, with a listening ear and a smile.

I pledge that my Government will Work closely with the Quality Assurance office, other external organizations and other public universities through the management bodies to ensure better quality education a and delivery of services. 


  • ·         More Activities, More Events, More Fun and More Knowledge.

I strongly believe that there aren't enough student events run by the union. As I have partnered by different organizations, made contacts with different external communities, I will make the union an inspiring force. One that will encourage students to conceive of amazing events, and then help these visions come to life. Trainings such as First aid, disaster Management, activities such as swimming, e.t.c, will be provided to all students interested as we all know as a community of diverse people, living in one place, we need to have basic knowledge of all this, so as to ensure safety of all of us.


You should vote for me to be Chairman because I swear to not stop, to not be diverted by bureaucracy, in the way I act, with students, to make Mount Kenya University better day by day, year by year, for us and the students of the future.



My vision is to empower Mount Kenya University Students and the communities within us to ensure that we all achieve Success academically, Students’ Campus life and learning experiences, in community service and self development.



My mission is to be an example of the change we all want, and to serve all the students of Mount Kenya University, through leadership, service and diversity without discriminating against any student and provide equal opportunities that can help in transforming lives here and even after Camps positively.


WE DON'T BUILD HOPE, WE BUILD FUTURES.

 

Thank you for reading.



I truly believe that I can make a great difference to the whole of MKU and MKUSA community, and if you do too, then I invite you to join my Army. It’s our union; we should make the most of it.

Check out more on Facebook & Twitter
My mobile phone number is +254 713 52 3811




No comments:

Post a Comment